Rio is one of the most exciting, fun & vibrant cities in all of South America. There is so much to see, and so much going on. It is extra special when there are events on in the city, such as the 2016 Olympics.
Top things to see in Rio
- Christ the Redeemer, do it on a clear day to make the most of the view
- Sugarloaf Mountain, very beautiful at sunset. The cable car up the mountain is super fun
- Copacabana Beach
- Ipanema Beach
- Park Lage
- Escalera de Selaron
- Botanical Gardens
- Botafogo Beach
- Enjoy a classical caipirinha, the Brazilian national cocktail
- Rio de Janeiro is like every big South American city, travel with caution – don’t have your new iPhone out on display, don’t count money on the street, avoid walking alone at night
- Having said this, don’t be afraid to ask for help & meet new people. I found every local I met to be very helpful & lovely.